Google preparing a censored version of its search engine for China

Google preparing a censored version of its search engine for China

Google preparing a censored version of its search engine for China

"We believe that Google's return to China is unlikely in the near-term due to the strained relationship between China and USA on trade", Mizuho tech analyst James Lee said in a research note.

A leaked Google document has revealed that Google is preparing a censored version, codenmed Dragonfly, of its popular search engine to abide by the Chinese government's strict laws, Mashable reported.

Citing "relevant authorities", the state-owned China Securities Journal said media reports suggesting that Google was returning to the Chinese market "do not conform to reality".

China is known for imposing censorship on internet related content. The aim of this project is to create a Google search engine app that could be installed on Android phones.

Only a few hundred Google employees know about the modified search engine, according to The Intercept's sources. The project is code named "Dragonfly" and has been underway since the spring of 2017, the news website said.

As TechCrunch reports, alongside censored search, Google is working on a "government-friendly news app".

More news: Mother of missing Iowa woman believes she may be held captive
More news: Sarri: Callum Hudson-Odoi will be handed first-team chance at Chelsea
More news: Shark stolen from San Antonio Aquarium is rescued, returned; 1 arrested

In December, Google announced it would open a new artificial intelligence research centre in Beijing. In a congressional hearing that year on the activities of USA technology companies in China, Google was called a "functionary of the Chinese government".

Google had been criticised for complying with the censorship regime in 2006 when a congressional hearing was told the company was a functionary of the Chinese government and accused of abhorrent actions. Google is for everyone. Reports of its possible re-entry spurred a strong reaction on Chinese social media outlets on Wednesday evening, including debates over the merits of a censored search engine versus accessing the USA version through illegal virtual private networks.

The report also said that the project has been underway since past year, and accelerated following a December 2017 meeting between Google's CEO Sundar Pichai and a top Chinese government official.

According to The Intercept, "The source said that they had moral and ethical concerns about Google's role in the censorship, which is being planned by a handful of top executives and managers at the company with no public scrutiny".

"It is impossible to see how such a move is compatible with Google's "Do the right thing" motto, and we are calling on the company to change course", Poon added.

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.