Eight-Year-Old Guatemalan Boy Died in US Custody on Christmas Eve

8-year-old boy from Guatemala dies in government custody

8-year-old boy from Guatemala dies in government custody

Felipe's death came 16 days after another Guatemalan child, 7-year-old Jakelin Caal Maquin, died at a hospital in CBP custody on December 8.

The boy was returned to the same hospital after starting to vomit.

The mother of a 7-year-old girl who died while in USA custody this month was too despondent to attend her daughter's funeral in an impoverished mountain village in Guatemala on Christmas Day.

Officials at the Department of Homeland Security told reporters Wednesday that nearly all checks ordered in reaction to the boy's death had been completed.

First, Border Patrol is conducting secondary medical checks on all children in CBP care and custody with a particular focus on children under 10.

CBP said in a statement it is "considering options for surge medical assistance" from the Coast Guard and could also reach out to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Department of Defense and the Federal Emergency Management Agency. The agency also released a timeline of events leading up to the boy's death at Gerald Champion Regional Medical Center in Alamogordo, New Mexico.

Texas Congressman Joaquin Castro called for a congressional investigation, saying the administration's policy of turning people away at the border "is putting families and children in great danger".

It was the second death of a child in the agency's care this month.

More news: Paul Pogba 'so happy' with Manchester United win
More news: Key Turning Points To Take Off: - Walgreens Boots Alliance, Inc., (NASDAQ: WBA)
More news: Eden Hazard fires Chelsea into League Cup semi-finals

Jakelin was detained along with her father on December 6 at a remote border crossing in New Mexico, where she was revived twice after going into cardiac arrest. They were then sent to El Paso Border Patrol Station, where they were held for another two days. The boy arrived in El Paso with his father on December 18 and was transferred to the Alamogordo CBP station on Sunday, according to the statement.

Additionally, officials did not say why Alonzo and his father had been held at a CBP detention center for almost a week.

"This is a tragic loss", CBP Commissioner Kevin K. McAleenan said.

The ministry said it will provide assistance and consular protection to the father and assume responsibility for the repatriation of the boy's remains. Guatemala's foreign ministry in a statement said that its consul in Phoenix, Arizona, was monitoring the situation and had sought to interview the boy's father "to know their version of the facts".

CBP has said that it took several hours to transport Jakelin and her father from a remote Border Patrol facility to a larger station, where her temperature was measured at 105.7 degrees Fahrenheit (40.9 degrees Celsius).

It remained unclear why the boy and the father were held in the holding facility over 72 hours in total, despite the agency's recommendations that immigrants should be transferred to better ICE facilities, though the decision could have been made due to lack of space in such facilities.

Xochitl Torres Small, a Democrat who will represent the district starting in January, called for a thorough and transparent investigation into the children's deaths and more medical resources along the border. She was ultimately flown to an El Paso hospital, where she died the next day.

A spokeswoman for U.S. Rep. Steve Pearce, a Republican whose district along the U.S. -Mexico border includes Alamogordo, did not respond to messages Tuesday. The Guatemalan government did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.